Saturday, December 24, 2011
A Christmas Quiz!
Thanks to Jesse over at www.goodgirlgoneglad.com for letting me borrow her quiz idea. Be sure after to leave me a note that you drop by her blog to sweet her sweet post!
1. Egg nog or hot chocolate? Hot Cocoa. I so enjoy experimenting with different flavors. Starbucks serves up a delish Salted Carmel Hot Cocoa!
2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? My daughters are 17 and 20 so they know Santa's real identity. We never gave Santa credit for any gifts, just the fun stuff in their stockings. We just felt that Daddy worked hard all year to buy their gifts and they should know he bought them for his girls. We wrap all of the gifts under the tree and stuff the stockings with small items.
3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? White on the tree, Colored on the house
4. Do you hang mistletoe? Nope, although since it is Oklahoma's state flower I suppose I should make the effort. I have always found it to be very odd that the state "flower" is actually a fungus.
5. When do you put your decorations up? Since my older girlie was born on a date that often falls on Thanksgiving I always waited until after her birthday so that she would feel her day was truly all about her. As she has gotten older and we tend to celebrate her birthday somewhere besides at home, we put them up on Thanksgiving afternoon/evening.
6. What is your favorite holiday dish? I love all of them but it wouldn't be Christmas without my hot apple cider made with mulling spices from Williams Sonoma.
7. Favorite holiday memory as a child? The year I got the worst "present", chicken pox! But what made it a good memory was my grandparents were at our house, they usually spent the winters in Arizona, and I got a new doll. I just loved baby dolls when I was a little girl. Still do!
8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? I was either 7 or 8. We lived in Colorado and Santa dropped by our house. I really don't know if it was Christmas Eve or just right before Christmas. I was told to go to bed as soon as he left. When I got to my room, I peeked out the window and saw him driving off in an RV. I really have not a clue who that man was, but guessed he was a friend of my parents. After that, I knew my parents were actually Santa.
9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? Of course! I have bought my family PJ's since the girls were small to open on Christmas Eve. It's fun to spend Christams morning in our new jammies.
10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree? Which one? hehehe. In OK we have a traditional green tree decorated with an angel on top, tons of red wooden beads strung on a string, and the ornaments we have collected since Superman and I were in high school. We buy one each year to signify a major event or a trip we have taken that year. In my OK dining room I have a green tree with a star on top, white bulbs/balls, and hand cut from card stock fleur de lis. I have been known to leave this tree up through Valentines Day! In our NC house I chose a white tree and have decorated it with a sea theme complete with an anchor on the top. This year, the white tree is full of colored bulbs and a star on top.
11. Snow! Love it or dread it? I have a love/hate relationship with snow. Since I grew up in Colorado, I enjoyed it as a child. No responsiblity, just got to play in it! Now, however, that has changed so IF I can stay home and just watch it fall, it is beautiful. If I have to get out in it and it is deep or the roads are slick I hate it. In OK we experienced an ice storm that made history. Our house was without electricity for 13 days! Living in NC I no longer have to decide if I love it or dread it, the only white stuff here is the sand!
12. Can you ice skate? Yes! Since taking ballroom dance lessons I have greatly improved. I credit the lessons for teaching me the proper posture and balance needed to ice skate.
13. Do you remember your favorite gift? I have to say I have two that are tied for favorite. My diamond necklace that my hubby bought for me about 6 years ago and the ballroom dance lessons he completely surprised me with about 5 years ago. Diamonds and a guaranteed date night every Friday night for 2 years, what could be better?
14. What’s the most important thing about the holidays for you? Jesus. I am constantly trying to point my family back to Him and love how God shows me unique ways to teach about Jesus every year.
15. What is your favorite holiday dessert? Cherry Cheesecake, fudge, and cookies!
16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? I know this may be silly...but having my girls' pics made with Santa. When we lived in OK we always went to Santa's house at Utica Square for a high quality photo. Just standing outdoors in the cold with other families waiting for our turn, seeing all of the decorations in the square, and dropping by Starbucks created many memories for us through the years. Having a picture of my girls in the same location each year allows me to look back and see them grow up right before my eyes.
17. What tops your tree? Depends on the tree...we have two stars and one angel, as well as an anchor! I know an anchor seems strange, but after all, Jesus is my Anchor!
18. Which do you prefer: giving or receiving? Giving! I just love to watch eyes light up when someone is truly surprised or gets something they have wanted for a long time.
19. Candy canes: yuck or yummy? Yuck. Unless they are chocolate covered and used in hot cocoa or used as decorations.
20. Favorite Christmas show? A Charlie Brown Christmas, see my previous post.
21. Saddest Christmas song? The Christmas Shoes song...I don't know the exact name of it but it touches my heart every time I hear it sung.
22. What is your favorite Christmas song? I truly don't have a favorite, I just love all Christmas music. The top five? Mary Did You Know?, Silent Night, A Baby Changes Everything by Faith Hill, The Charlie Brown Christmas music/song, and Santa Baby.
I hope that you are all finished with your Christmas preparations and will be able to spend the day with your families!
Merry Christmas Eve!