Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Cookin Up a Storm!

Cooking is relaxing.  Well, at least to ME it is relaxing!  Today I spent the day "cookin up a storm" while watching The Help.  It is my new go-to movie when I want to watch something but need my mind to concentrate on the task at hand.  Since both of my daughters are now working and Superman is self employed, meaning he rarely works 9-5, I have to have a meal ready for one of them to eat at odd times during the day and evening.  I was stressing over this task until I remembered Investment Cooking, a concept I have taught many times at Pampered Chef shows.  So, today was Investment Cooking day and once again, cooking is FUN!!!

A couple of friends asked me to share one of the meals I often make on Investment Cooking day.  I hope you enjoy it too!!

Cheeseburger Soup

2.5 pounds of ground beef, browned with garlic.  I also season the meat at this time.

1 large yellow onion, chopped

5 celery stalks, chopped

1 teaspoon dried basil

1 teaspoon dried parsley

5 cups (or more) chicken broth (I use the store bought, but I keep telling myself I will make some stock to have on hand)

4 or 5 large turnips, peeled and diced...before you say TURNIPS?! trust me, they are incredible cooked this way.  I told my family they were Irish Potatoes (not a complete lie) and they ate them up!  This is my man's favorite soup!!

1 cup heavy cream

1/2 cup sour cream

salt/pepper

your favorite shredded cheese, I use co jack

In a large stock pot, saute the onion and celery in a little butter.  When they are tender, add the chicken broth and turnips.  Boil until the turnips are tender but not mushy.  Add the seasonings and the ground beef.  Boil a few more minutes then slowly add the heavy cream.  Allow to simmer til you are ready to serve.  Just before serving, add the sour cream.  Heat through.  Ladle into bowls and top with your favorite shredded cheese.  This soup reheats very well.  It is also a great meal to prepare and then pour into a crock pot to keep warm and ready to eat when you arrive home after a day out.  Just prepare a tossed salad and dinner is ready!

This recipe was given to me by friend who doesn't think cooking is relaxing.  She would much rather clean up the kitchen while I cook.  We make a great team in the kitchen!




I know what you are thinking...what does this picture have to do with Cheeseburger Soup?!

This picture was taken about a year ago in Oklahoma.  Meet (bottom row L to R) Shana, Danielle, Ally. Also, (top row) me, Natalie, and Sheryl.  We had just watched The Help   (the movie I was watching today while I was cooking) and wanted to take a picture of all of us since we are rarely all in one city.   Sheryl, my friend who would rather clean up than cook, lives in Istanbul, Turkey, and is the one who shared this recipe with me. 

As you can see, this is the perfect picture for Cheeseburger Soup!

What cooking challenges are you encountering since summer is almost over?  Please leave me a note, I love reading each one!!

Kiss The Cook~
Kim

4 comments:

  1. This is Shana. I love this picture! Such a fun story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Must try this recipe! Bunch of pretty ladies in that pic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks fun! I'll have to get Sheryl to make this recipe for me sometime in Istanbul this fall/winter! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like something I am going to have to try! Turnips and all. I think I will go with the Irish potato explanation too, hehe!
    xx

    ReplyDelete